Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Consider the Lilies

I know I post on this subject all the time. It's probably because it's on my mind all the time. I worry. I worry a lot. I imagine the worst that could possibly happen and let that imagination control my life.

I recently came across a great blog post that really knocked me upside the head. Click here for the whole post. Here's the part that really got me: 

"I don’t know if it’s a me thing, a woman thing, or a people thing in general, but I have to fight a tendency to make every opportunity the be-all-to-end-all: if I don’t get this done, it’s all over. If I don’t succeed at this one thing, I am such a loser. If I can’t navigate this one relationship, I’m not worth anybody’s time. I put my worth, again, and again, in things that I can lose. And I jeopardize the blessings I do have by putting every ounce of my energy into what may or may not happen.
So, here’s what I’ve started to do: before I turn in a paper for school… or call a parents whose kids I’m tutoring… or send in an application… or *cough* go to a job interview, I ask myself, 'What’s the worse that could happen?' 

But my identity isn’t wrapped up in any of those things. Or at least, is shouldn’t be. My identity is wrapped up in the fact that 'nothing can separate me from the love of God.' {Romans 8:38-39} It’s wrapped up in the thing I cannot lose."

This post came at a crucial time for me. I've been worrying my self sick (yes, literally sick) over a situation. I worry that I failed in so many aspects in this particular situation and my punishment is going to be swift and painful. The thing is, God is working this situation out above what I ever expected. And I'm throwing it all right back in his face with my worry. It's like I want to be miserable.

Sometimes I feel like it's my job to over-analyze every little mistake I make. I worry that if I don't think through every possible scenario, I will get blindsided. I feel like I'm dropping the ball if I don't worry. I feel like I'm not taking my imperfections seriously if I don't dwell upon them.

I need to remember Romans 8:38-39: "nothing can separate me from the love of God." I need to remember Luke 12:25-27: "25And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? 26 If then you are not able to do as small a thing as that, why are you anxious about the rest? 27 Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin...

It's so easy, though, to automatically say God's love isn't strong enough to wipe away consequences. It's so easy to think God wants me to suffer for my mistakes.

His sending his son to the cross, however, offers a completely different message. He sacrificed his one and only son to pay the penalty for my mistakes. Clearly he offers unconditional love despite my worthless state. I need to accept that as enough.

So, I just need to keep preaching this to myself. I must get it through my thick skull. I'm sure I'm not the only one who struggles to push past the sin of worry. Hopefully these truths from God's word help you to overcome these struggles. I think it's something I will battle my whole life, but with God's help I can stay strong and avoid the mental institution. 
Photo from Microsoft Office Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...