Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Value in The Hunger Games

Have you read the Hunger Games yet? I read them around Christmastime and was completely sucked in. I loved them. I didn't love them for the violence and corruption. I loved them because of how well-written they were and how they paint a picture of what society could be like if we continue down our current path.

A lot of Christians bash the series without taking the time to read the books. If you are any sort of thinker, you will most likely appreciate the series on some level (unless you enjoy being contrary). I would like to read the series again and post a more in-depth review. Maybe this summer.

In the meantime, here's an excellent Christian perspective on the series. I enjoy just about everything Wendy Alsup writes. If you haven't read these books because you don't think a Christian should be reading this sort of material, check out this article.

Remember, the Bible is filled with violent stories. God uses these stories to warn us against these actions. Some might even argue (inaccurately) that some of the stories in the Bible are sensationalized. I don't think children under 12 or 13 ought to read the Hunger Games, but I do think the series can be used as a cautionary tale.

Don't take my word for it, though. Read the series yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...