Pages

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Using Devotionals

Somewhere along the path of my Christian life I picked up this idea that good Christians don't use devotionals for their devotions. Good Christians pick out all they need to know in the Bible just by reading the Bible and interpreting it for themselves. Good Christians are allowed to read books, but they are to be read only AFTER the Bible has been read first.

I don't think anyone ever taught me this concept directly. I somehow pieced it together from various camp sermons and Bible college classes. It is true that the Bible should be our sole authority. However, using the wisdom of another Christian can be quite helpful.

I think it's time for me to step back and allow another Christian walk me through the Word for a little bit. I heard an advertisement on the radio on Sunday for Laura Story's new devotional: Blessings. So I ordered my own copy as soon as I got home from church that night. It came today! It was only like $6.00 or so.

I can't wait to start it tomorrow morning. I'm hoping it helps me get over my aversion to using devotionals. We'll see!

Photo from freeccm.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...