Pages

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Salsa Fresca

This is a post from my old blog on some really good salsa I made. Sorry about the poor picture quality! This was originally posted by me on 7/19/11.

On Sunday I finally made fresh salsa for the first time. It was on my summer to-do list. I went to the local farm market (my husband said it can't be called a farmer's market since it was produce from only one farm) on Saturday to get some fresh tomatoes. Then, I found a recipe on Allrecipes.com. You can find the link here.

 Ingredients
  • 6 roma tomatoes, diced
  • 3 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
  • 1/4 red onion, chopped
  • 3 green onions, chopped
  • 2 cloves cloves garlic, crushed
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 small jicama, peeled and chopped
  • 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies, drained
  • salt and ground black pepper to taste

Directions

  1. Mix together the tomato, jalapeno pepper, red onion, green onion, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, lemon juice, cumin, jicama, and the diced tomatoes with chilies in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Allow to sit at least 1 hour before serving.

It worked out pretty well. I had never even heard of a jicama before and neither did the check-out boy at the grocery store. It's considered to be a root/tuber and can be used as either a vegetable or a fruit. My husband and I tried a raw piece. It reminded me of a grainy, unsweetened apple. It's not bad. I have to figure out what to do with the rest of it now.
The salsa tasted good the first day. I haven't tried it again since then because I had a queasy stomach yesterday from some bad Mexican food the night before. I might try it today to see if it flavored anymore. My husband LOVED it and says it's the best salsa he's ever tasted. He is a bit biased, though.

**Update 7/15/12: I did eat more of the salsa. It was really good! The jicama ended up going to waste though. I will have to make this again this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...