Pages

Saturday, January 14, 2012

What is a lazy perfectionist?

When I was in high school, I started noticing signs of perfectionism creep into my life. Whenever I would have a project due in any of my classes, I would obsess over it until the wee hours of the morning until it was almost perfect. The problem was, I never quite reached perfection because I would be too tired or too lazy and would just say "good enough."

This lazy perfectionism is today evidenced in my approach to housecleaning. Currently, my home is a disaster. I live in a teeny-tiny 500 square foot studio apartment that looks like something off of the A&E TV show Hoarders by Saturday morning of each week. I want my house to look perfect daily. I want to relax on my couch each evening with a cup of tea in one hand and my Kindle in the other. The only problem is, I'm too lazy to keep my house perfect so I end up sitting in uncomfortable positions on my couch browsing Pinterest, Facebook, and random blogs with the intention of being productive. I constantly feel frustrated with myself and get even more frustrated with myself when I see the "perfection" of others on their blogs and Facebook profiles.

Often when I read these blogs, the bloggers will bemoan their blog envy and will talk about how imperfect their lives are. The only problem is, every picture on their blog is perfectly crafted. Every post is perfectly and poetically crafted. When they post pictures of perfection, they apologize for their imperfection even though the rest of the world would never notice it if they hadn't pointed it out.

So I got to thinking. I really want to write a blog from a standpoint that is not quite so cliche. This is the fourth time I've tried blogging. I'm hoping it sticks this time. I don't have any great talents or abilities to share with the rest of the world. I do have my struggle with lazy perfectionism. I'm willing to bet there are a lot of others out there with the same struggles. So join me on my journey as I try to cope with my imperfection.

1 comment:

  1. This blog post is perfectly crafted. It served as a perfect amusement of my time, and now I am going to switch off my perfectly disorienting internet connection and go for a walk in the most imperfectly natural park. Care to join me?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...