Pages

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Birthday Calendar

I don't know about you, but I'm TERRIBLE at remembering birthdays. Dates are so arbitrary. I have a really hard time keeping them in my mind. I sometimes forget my own anniversary! I was thrilled when I found this pin on Pinterest a while back.

So, I went out and bought some fun scrapbooking paper (even though I had plenty in my scrapbooking bag), and set to work. Here's the original tutorial.

I couldn't find white envelopes at Wal-Mart. I'm sure an office-supply store would have them. I also could only find envelopes that came in packages of 6, so I only ended up with 12 envelopes, but it all worked out in the end.

Materials:

13- 9x6 vertical white envelopes (I used 12 yellow envelopes, plus a piece of cardstock cut to size)
Enough scrapbook paper to cover 13 envelopes (1 12x12 piece of paper should work for 1 month)
Adhesive (glue sticks or glue dots would work best)
Months and days printed on cardstock (I used printer paper and really regretted it)
1 hole paper punch
2 book rings (you can find these in the office supply section at Wal-Mart)
Embellishments (optional, I didn't use any)

Procedure:
  1. Trace envelope on scrapbook paper (see picture 1)
  2. Cut out.
  3. Glue to side of envelope that doesn't have the metal clasp on it.
  4. Pick a new piece of scrapbook paper
  5. Trace the entire envelope (including the flap). Used picture 2 as a reference.
  6. Cut out. Cut traced flap off of the scrapbook paper.
  7. Glue to side of envelope that does have the metal clasp. Glue scrapbook paper to flap of envelope (see pictures 3 and 4 as a reference)
  8. Repeat steps 1-3 with same type of scrapbook paper and a new envelope.
  9. Repeat steps 4-7 with new type of scrapbook paper.
  10. Repeat steps 1-9 until you have completed the month of December. 
  11. On the front of the first envelope, mark with x's where you would like the two holes to be punched. 
  12. Punch out using a one-hole paper punch (see picture 6).
  13. Using the holes of the first envelope as a guide, mark x's in the holes on the second envelope (see picture 7).
  14. Repeat steps 12 and 13 for the rest of the envelopes.
  15. Cut out and glue the months and dates on the matching papers (see pictures 8&9).
  16. Once you have finished all of your cutting and gluing, bind the envelopes together with the binder rings.
This is what your final product should look like:
 It's far from perfect, but that's what this blog is all about. It's mainly for my own organizational use rather than for a display item, so it doesn't really matter. I'm thankful I finally have a way to keep all of the birthdays straight in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...