Pages

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Washable Travel Toothbrush Holder Tutorial

I love Pinterest. Follow my boards by clicking here and then click the big red "Follow All" button. I found this great idea on there a while back and wanted to make it for myself for camping trips.

 Source: etsy.com via Melissa on Pinterest

The problem was this is a link to an Etsy site, not a tutorial. So, I had to figure it out using the pics on Etsy. I don't want to take away from the Etsy seller. I think it's great that she's selling these on Etsy. I think she's selling these for a fairly reasonable price. If you aren't crafty, you should purchase these from her Etsy site by clicking here. She has some other neat items for sale as well, so check it out!

I've tweaked her version a little bit to fit my needs.
Materials:
  • Cheap washcloths (I picked up a pack of 8 at Kohl's for $3.99. Other stores may sell them for even cheaper.)
  • Pencil or washable fabric pen
  • Matching thread (My thread doesn't really match all that well, but I don't care because it's for camping.)
  • Ribbon (I used leftover ribbon from another project; hence the Christmas color pallette.)
  • Buttons (I used extra buttons from old clothes that I've since donated to the thrift store.)
  • Sewing machine (You could sew these by hand if you really wanted to.)
Procedure:
  1. Using a tube of toothpaste and a toothbrush as a guide, fold the washcloth up a little less than halfway (or a little more than halfway depending on the shape of your washcloth). You want to make sure that the top of the toothbrush doesn't stick out when you roll it up. (Who knows what sort of nasties are creeping in campground bathhouses!)
  2. Pin the washcloth in place to ensure it doesn't slip while sewing.
  3. Sew up the sides. I sewed on the inside of the factory made seams because I need a very obvious guide when sewing. You should now have one giant pocket.
  4. Again using the toothpaste and toothbrush as a guide, mark how wide you would like your pockets to be using the pencil or fabric pen. I drew a line all the way down to the bottom of the folded edge because I'm a terrible sewer. I didn't measure scientifically. I just guesstimated. The original seller made hers have four pockets. I didn't need that many pockets, so I just stuck with three. When I have kids one day I may increase the number of pockets in one roll to keep all the toothbrushes together.
  5. Sew down the lines you drew. You should now have 3 individual pockets.
  6. Cut a length of ribbon. I tucked my toothbrush, toothpaste, and floss inside the pockets and then rolled it up to see how much ribbon I would need.
  7. Flip washcloth over so the pockets are facing the table. 
  8. Attach ribbon in the center of the right-hand side of the factory hem. I did this by hand. You could probably do it with the sewing machine if you really wanted to.
  9. Sew button to outside of ribbon to ensure your stick stays intact. You are going to be putting this through the washing machine, so make sure your stitches are secure. If you don't want to use a button, you don't have to. 
  10. Insert toothbrush and toothpaste in pockets, roll up, tie, and throw it in your suitcase. 

Final, rolled up toothbrush holder

This was a super-easy project. The key is adjusting it to fit your toothbrush and your toothpaste. It took me a while because I had to remember how to thread my machine and wind my bobbin. I'm also a terrible seamstress (just ask my grandma). It doesn't really matter if you can sew or not. No one will inspect your seams. It's meant for travel, not display. You can use this anywhere. I plan on taking this with me whenever I travel. It would have been great for college since I had to brush my teeth in a communal bathroom.

Sidenote: My husband and I  just used these last week when camping. He mentioned to me that it would be better to have Velcro fasteners. I may try to get some Velcro dots and sew them on there to see if that would be more convenient than tying a ribbon. It would probably be more manly, that's for sure! I'll keep you posted.

Here's a look at another pin I found using washcloths. I may have to try this one before my next camping trip.

2 comments:

  1. Very creative idea, i love it! I try also to make it myself. Thanks for posting and the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I hope this tutorial is helpful to you. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...